Certified Real Estate Negotiator FAQ

  1. How to become a Real Estate Negotiator (REN)?

    Any person beyond the age of 18 years is eligible to be certified as a Real Estate Negotiator (REN). However, he must be attached with a registered firm on a FULL TIME BASIS. He must then attend a two days course called Negotiator Certification Course (NCC) by any approved training providers (as listed in BOVAEA website). Application can then only be made with BOVAEA thru the registered firm by using the prescribed form together with the letter of employment/engagement and NCC certificate. Once it is approved by BOVAEA, a REN tag will be issued and delivered to the registered firm.

  2. What is REN Tag?

    REN Tag is an identification tag issued to real estate negotiator (REN). It contains all the information including their name, photo, IC no, REN No, company name, company registration no, quick respond code (QR) and security features. This tag must be worn by the REN at all times during their conduct of business.

  3. Can a company use their company tag and substitute it as REN Tag?

    It is mandatory for all REN to wear the REN tag during the course of doing business and it cannot be replaced with any other company tag. It is an offence for someone to imitate and produce something similar to BOVAEA REN Tag.

  4. How to check whether the negotiator (REN) is genuine and registered?

    The Quick Respond (QR) code can be verified using a smartphone. It contains all the negotiator information including their photograph. If in doubt, conduct a search a BOVAEA website under Negotiator Search. Alternatively, call BOVAEA during the office hour at 603-22876666.

  5. What happen if the REN does not have a REN Tag?

    He is an illegal broker. Stop dealing with him. Report him to the police immediately with full information.

  6. How do I know whether the REN Tag is a fake one?

    Genuine REN Tag contains watermark security features. When you scan the Quick Respond (QR) using a smartphone, it will feature the negotiator information.

  7. What happens if I lost my REN Tag?

    You need to obtain a letter from your firm to confirm the lost. With the letter and payment of RM50, you can apply for replacement with BOVAEA by using the prescribed form. Higher penalty will be imposed for subsequent replacement.

  8. Do I need to renew my REN Tag?

    Yes. You will be required to renew the REN Tag from January 2016.

  9. How can the public verify if the negotiator is registered with BOVAEA?

    All the basic information of the negotiator are captured and display in the website under www.lppeh.gov.my or www.propertyagent.gov.my. These include their company name and mobile no. Alternatively, you may call BOVAEA office during office hour at 603-22876666.

  10. I attended the course conducted by MIEA. Any validity date for me to register myself as a negotiator?

    The Certificate of Attendance is only valid for 12 months from date of issuance. Failure to register with BOVAEA within 12 months of issuance shall render the certificate invalid.

Source from Malaysian Institute of Estate Agents